Last week I was in Paris for GameConnection, where our former school Uppsala University provided us with a booth in the business area which we shared with two other projects. It has been a lot of fun and I have met a lot of awesome people! It feels good to be home though, and I am pretty tired from six very long days on the road.
Most of my time was spent in our booth or mingling with people from the industry from all over the world, but I did manage to squeeze in a 30 minute walk in the public area of Paris Games Week. In the other end of the hall I found a little Pikachu whom we took out for dinner that night.
Would have been nice to stay another day and experience the beauty of Paris, but all in all I am very happy with my trip and would like to thank all of the people who made our GameConnection experience amazing!
(As far as touristing goes, I got to see the Champs-Élysées, Arc de Triomphe, half of the Eiffel Tower and the inside of an undergroundish club called Duplex)
Now its time go get back to business, contact people and keep working so that you will be able to play Tamarrion in the not too far future!
It is our 20th Art Time-versary and would like to celebrate with giving you a closer look at our icons!
The icons that are currently in the prototype were originally developed during the first 8 weeks of prototyping the demo that we showed at Gotland Game Conference (GGC) in May 2015. As our art style has developed and we have studied more references we decided that these icons (which were a bit rushed) were a bit too rough and messy. We wanted to clean up the icon style a bit to make them look a bit more polished, as if a bit more care and effort was put into them.
To define the new style I started with updating the already existing icons, spending no more than 20-30 minutes on each. Since they were already readable, just a bit rough. So right now I am in the middle of cleaning them up and giving them some more bazazz. I feel that they look much better now, what do you think?
If you want to see more, you are welcome to join in on our second official art stream on Thursday at around 13 CET! Hope to see you there!
Hi and welcome back to another installment of Development Diary!
Today, we’re going to talk a little bit about Favour – the “currency” that the player utilize in Tamarrion.
First off, in Tamarrion there’s no levels. There’s no levels, because we don’t want to lock our content behind level walls; but there is however issues in not having any barriers of entry at all. That’s where items and Favour comes into play.
Items allow the player to defeat higher tiers of bosses. But, Favour is directly linked with the progress of the game.
Flowchart of the favour-system
In essence, favour acts as currency that allows the player to spend, hoard and recycle their favour in order to build their character.
Different spells, costs different amount of Favour. And this is where a lot of balancing comes in. We can directly balance the amount of favour a player can earn within a set amount of progression, as to not create unbalanced ability builds early on in the game, and also create a – hopefully – interesting red line of progression.
That’s it for today, we’ll be back with more information about favour and magic sooner than later. Have a great evening!
//Perkulatorn, Lead Game Designer
Welcome to this week’s dev blog! It is art time again and this time I will show you the process of modeling a weapon for Tamarrion.
The first step is of course actually designing the weapon, this is a concept for an axe that will be used by one of the characters in the game. It is supposed to belong to a strong and heavy character in the undead wing where Nihteana and Valac belongs, so it needs to be coherent to both its owner and the rest of the wing. Therefore (and to make it more interesting and cool) I have chosen to add runes on the blade, which will be the same ones that were used on Valac’s sword. I also incorporated the edged swirly pattern that Nihteana has on her clothing and spikes from Valac’s armour. Since all characters have some kind of skull as part of their design, I also wanted to incorporate it on this axe.
After creating a base mesh using the concept as a reference, it was time to start working on some high poly sculpting! I started adding basic details and testing placement, before going further and adding more. I like to work on all pieces of a model simultaneously, so that they are always at the same level of detail, starting general and then going more and more into details.
In the previous picture I felt that the runes were just too cautiously placed and needed to be stronger and deeper into the blade to give it a harder and more menacing look. Simply more readable as well. I wanted the axe to look as if it had been well used in battle so I gave it dents and scratches and made sure that the edges were not perfectly smooth as if it was brand new.
Once the high poly model was complete I had to create a low poly model to retarget it to and then UV-map it. This part was pretty easy and straightforwards, since a non-animated object does not need very complex edge flow. The biggest issue faced here was having to go back to high poly sculpting as the wrapped grip had intentionally been meant to be reused from a different weapon. When unwrapping the UVs I soon realised however, that because of the size of this weapon, the stretching of the texture would be quite extreme and too visible for it to work.
The final step of the modeling process, while waiting for normal maps to be baked, was to
piece it together and merge it into a single mesh and send it on its way to Unity (how it turned out you can see below). Now it just needs a texture to add some colour and it will be ready to hack away!
Check in next week for another dev blog and in two weeks we will be back with more art!